Login

OUT!! Lemon, the first "true" delay in nebula/acqua land

Re: OUT!! Lemon, the first "true" delay in nebula/acqua land

Postby DavideBurattin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 am

giancarlo wrote:Yes, a tape emu is close to this one but with the addition of an other stage of compression, more harmonics and more samples. Possibly we'll do it for the end of 2018, there were too many tape plugins this summer!
But I agree, our tapes are good now eh eh

Yep too many tape plugins out last season, it was an absurd situation of market saturation/killing by almost all the big plugins producers.
Regarding an AA tape emu plugin, IMO, the big goal will be to keep the CPU usage as low as possible (just like some cool Nebula presets) to be able to put one instance on at least 16 tracks + stero buss in a basic 6th gen i7 CPU, leaving some spare power (50-70%?) for the other processors (EQ, Comp, etc.).
It would be also very cool to sample each one of the 16 tape-tracks/pres of the reel to provide a true 1:1 emulation.
DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Martinez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm

DavideBurattin wrote:
giancarlo wrote:Yes, a tape emu is close to this one but with the addition of an other stage of compression, more harmonics and more samples. Possibly we'll do it for the end of 2018, there were too many tape plugins this summer!
But I agree, our tapes are good now eh eh

Yep too many tape plugins out last season, it was an absurd situation of market saturation/killing by almost all the big plugins producers.
Regarding an AA tape emu plugin, IMO, the big goal will be to keep the CPU usage as low as possible (just like some cool Nebula presets) to be able to put one instance on at least 16 tracks + stero buss in a basic 6th gen i7 CPU, leaving some spare power (50-70%?) for the other processors (EQ, Comp, etc.).
It would be also very cool to sample each one of the 16 tape-tracks/pres of the reel to provide a true 1:1 emulation.

Honestly, I don't think CPU usage is such and issue with tape sims, just because most tape sims are rendered down before the mix process.
Martinez

Postby DavideBurattin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Martinez wrote:Honestly, I don't think CPU usage is such and issue with tape sims, just because most tape sims are rendered down before the mix process.

In a ITB environment it would be always useful to have the chance to regret and change your first decisions, expecially if the tape effect (i.e.) is more complex in controls than the current Nebula libraries.
Otherwise I could say the same for all plugin effects: just use freeze and go.
But I wish, if possible to keep everything easily amendable until the las bounce.
Not least, I understand better the kind of saturation/pre/console only after creating the release-candidate mix, and listen back to the various possible choices.

I think all of this IS the good of ITB mixing compared to the classic mode.
DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Frogy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:53 pm

babiuk wrote:
I like them but I am more impressed by the revox a700 sound. I mean using 100% wet sound. I will have to try it some more times to be sure, but it may be one of the best tape sounds ITB.
Do you consider it can be used like tape emu? I will do it of course but I would like to know if you(the developer) think it is ready to work as tape emu or if it still lacks any element to be used as a perfect tape emu(at least as we could use the real gear)

+1.

Placed the preset 'antidigital' from the Tone bank on a male vocal and at about 85% wet. It made the voice thicker and more solid and less, well digital (I was able to turn down the de-esser).

Used the filter bank eq to raise the mid just a touch. Up to that point I was using the UAD Oxide Tape Plug-In. No contest. Amazing stuff AA.
Frogy
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Dimzo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:49 pm

i quickly checked some presets today.
the tone presets are very nice and yeah there's a lot more to explore... so many delays... 8-)
Dimzo

Postby jus11 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Is "NUW x64 plugin" related to Lemon? Sorry if I'm wrong, but it seems that Lemon corrupted one of my projects. After adding Lemon, the project failed to re-open when loading, crashed, and I got a message that Logic failed to open "NUW x64 plugin". So is this something that Lemon/Aqua uses?

Only after I took Lemon out of my components folder, the session opened.

Stickin with vst in Metaplugin for now...
jus11
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Acusticaaudiouser33 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:07 pm

I spent a little time with Lemon and like the idea very much.
But for the first time - I own many Aquas already- I had the impression that the overall sound is a bit 'boxed in' and 'cold' and 'hard', a bit 'mechanical' and doesn't open up. As if there is a ceiling holding the sound back from spreading freely.
When using my carbon copy delay on the guitar the sound is darkish, mid rangy as well but free and big.
Of course I compared this to 'echoboy' as well: it felt alright and loose as well. And of course Echoboy can't have all the different textures like samplebased Lemon but it felt free and lush and bigger. More musical in a way.
Sorry to be the first 'critical' feedback here.
Why did I get this impression ... I never felt about any Aqua that way. Aqua technology is always 'big sounding' imo.
I would like to hear from others if my ears 'are mistaken' or if others can relate somewhat with what I'm saying.

Anyway, congrats on Lemon and thanks for some feedback!
regards
Acusticaaudiouser33
User Level V
User Level V

Postby markgalup » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:32 am

Dearest AA and Giancarlo,

I finally got to mix with Lemon today. Seriously, no fanboying here, this release is fucking behemoth and amazing. Not only the sonics, but the entite thing is incredible - the gear sampled, the manual, the feature set, the “Standard” hybrid filters, the GUI... You did this shit RIGHT. The sounds are spot on and the saturation is a joy. Killed it... Thank you.

MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts
markgalup
Expert
Expert

Postby cjperez » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:16 am

Bought Lemon... Was trying it out on a mix... My impressions thus far is "pretty ok".. The different presets sounds nice but i still have to dig into it further..

However, :| :| .. I have a problem..... and it's the same exact problem I had & still have with SAND...

While using Cubase 9 with Lemon on ONE track, all of a sudden, other elements in my mix starts to go "Out of Sync"...

To explain this further, Imagine i have a track with Piano,Bass, Guitar , Drums, after playing with Lemon for about 10 minutes, I start to hear my drums going out of Sync with everything else... then once I stop & restart playback, the problem then goes away for a bit....

However, once I start back playing the track and tweaking Lemon, the same problem happens again, but this time with the Piano track... The piano starts going out of sync ... Mind you, i have LEMON as a send effect on Vocals, not on anything else....

At first before i heard the problem, I was having some fun with Lemon, then once i heard that "Out of Sync" problem, i got a bit depressed, cause then i realized that I can't use the plugin in my mixes cause of this issue...

At least in my system, when it comes to Cubase 9 & SAND, for some reason, they don't seem to like each other and as a result, i've pretty much stop using SAND because of this..

I dunno man, but I did file more than one ticket when i bought SAND last year with no result from the Support on the issue so I just gave up.

Really hoping i won't have to give up Lemon because of this again...... Does anyone else have this issue? because it's reallll annoying...

And the other worrysome thing for me is that once I save a project with SAND then i exit cubase 9, then reload Cubase, then the project, the project would Crash on Loading.... meaning that it would refuse to LOAD unless i Uninstalled SAND or at least removed the .dll file from my acustica folder.... sigh.....

I Didn't stick around long enough to see if that would have happened with LEMON, but from past experience, once that out of sync problem starts and i save a project, that would usually be the end result if I try to re-load the project.. Cubase would just crash and refuse to Load up the project file... It's like the cubase file gets corrupted somehow....

Filed a ticket already , but not sure if support can help since this the exact problem i have with SAND..
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.
cjperez
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby giancarlo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 am

Out of sync? That's very strange, I have cubase9, never heard or experienced that. I tested also on cubase 5
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to New Product Alert!