Login

Will the top end issue with compressors ever be sorted out?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Will the top end issue with compressors ever be sorted out?

Postby daystripper » Fri May 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi, i've been checking out acustica products for a while. And there is one very big issue that still takes me away from the AA compressors. Look, i like the sound of the compression, i'm fine with recent compressors' action (it's usable), i love that they don't sound digitalish. But they turn my dear high end into a piece of crap, making things sound muddy, sizzle and fatiguing. I've downloaded recent Amethyst 3 and it's still the same stuff. A lot of artifacts in the top end. And it occurs when the actual compression occurs. It's bad enough on a single track, but in the mix, it builds up. You can't have a bunch of noise and artifacts instead of your top end. It will be a shitty mix. Which crosses out all of the advantages that it brings to the table.
So my question is: are you guys looking into this? Should I abandon all hope? My understanding is that this is caused by all the sample switching. And the clicks between them modulate into this high-frequency crap. Can't you guys push it even further up or soften the clicks somehow? Or did you settle for the fatiguing top end noise?
This may come off as a bit harsh, but I didn't really intend it to. Thanks for the attention.
daystripper
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Will the top end issue with compressors ever be sorted o

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Fri May 19, 2017 3:51 pm

duh, man, really, I have no clue what are you talking about? (and I don't reply here as someone who works with AA, I reply as a user of the plug-ins).

I am not saying that they sound exactly like the HW they are inspired by. I am just saying that what you express is nothing like what I experience. And in the past 10 years I have been using on daily basis HW compressors of all kinds and brands. Often I would pick these to the plug-ins. But really, in 2017 I am finally happy with digital compression.

In fact, my only request for AA would be to look properly into auto attack and auto releases. Perhaps the attack/release curves on some models could also be a little more accurate. But really, the tone??? the HF on most of these babies is just smooth - no clue what are you on about...

Oh, unless you switch off 'insane' mode?
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby giancarlo » Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Really no clue... Seriously
I dont understand which sample switching he is speaking about?
Clicking? Maybe he is using with insane mode deactivated... Dunno
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby daystripper » Sat May 20, 2017 1:49 pm

You really don't know about the artifacts in the High end? You may believe it's beyond our hearing range, but it totally affects the sound and how we perceive a sound. Insane mode doesn't solve that problem and i'm talking about with it on. I can make a video about it, go into detail and demonstrate. And if you really don't know what i'm on about, hell, i may even help to improve your product.
daystripper
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby robschroeder » Sat May 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Please go for it. Highly interested in what you are hearing.
robschroeder

Postby giancarlo » Sat May 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Yes very interested.. We never stop learning
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby daystripper » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 pm

I know it's been awhile. So, I did try to make a video but the sound crapped out at the capturing stage. Plus it's going to be crapped out even more on youtube, so, I figured, if you don't hear it in the daw, you won't hear it in the video. But I actually can show you what I'm talking about. http://imgur.com/a/Q1dUc So you've got all this junk introduced, it sounds fatiguing, less clear at the top and you'll hear less bottom as a result. And it's going to be introduced at every compression stage in every signal that needs compression so you won't get any separation up there. It's unsuitable for a pro use right now. Will this ever be fixed?
daystripper
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mathias » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:47 pm

can you give us the source-file you used for that example? so we can try to reproduce your measurement.
what settings did you use on the amethyst3 compressor?

i never experienced things like that with actual nebula comps, not by hearing nor by measuring (with a good, mastering grade, monitoring setup).
i suspect something else is wrong there ...
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:54 pm

daystripper wrote:I know it's been awhile. So, I did try to make a video but the sound crapped out at the capturing stage. Plus it's going to be crapped out even more on youtube, so, I figured, if you don't hear it in the daw, you won't hear it in the video ...

i don't understand what you mean by crapped out?
you're a pro (at least you talk like one), so give us an audioexample of what you are hearing.
dry and processed, so we can try to understand what you are talking about and have a real, evidence based discussion.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:11 pm

There are things to be improved in AA for sure but Comps are getting great for a while and i don't get it either ..
Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to Working with Acqua