Login

Will the top end issue with compressors ever be sorted out?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Will the top end issue with compressors ever be sorted out?

Postby daystripper » Fri May 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi, i've been checking out acustica products for a while. And there is one very big issue that still takes me away from the AA compressors. Look, i like the sound of the compression, i'm fine with recent compressors' action (it's usable), i love that they don't sound digitalish. But they turn my dear high end into a piece of crap, making things sound muddy, sizzle and fatiguing. I've downloaded recent Amethyst 3 and it's still the same stuff. A lot of artifacts in the top end. And it occurs when the actual compression occurs. It's bad enough on a single track, but in the mix, it builds up. You can't have a bunch of noise and artifacts instead of your top end. It will be a shitty mix. Which crosses out all of the advantages that it brings to the table.
So my question is: are you guys looking into this? Should I abandon all hope? My understanding is that this is caused by all the sample switching. And the clicks between them modulate into this high-frequency crap. Can't you guys push it even further up or soften the clicks somehow? Or did you settle for the fatiguing top end noise?
This may come off as a bit harsh, but I didn't really intend it to. Thanks for the attention.
daystripper
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Will the top end issue with compressors ever be sorted o

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Fri May 19, 2017 3:51 pm

duh, man, really, I have no clue what are you talking about? (and I don't reply here as someone who works with AA, I reply as a user of the plug-ins).

I am not saying that they sound exactly like the HW they are inspired by. I am just saying that what you express is nothing like what I experience. And in the past 10 years I have been using on daily basis HW compressors of all kinds and brands. Often I would pick these to the plug-ins. But really, in 2017 I am finally happy with digital compression.

In fact, my only request for AA would be to look properly into auto attack and auto releases. Perhaps the attack/release curves on some models could also be a little more accurate. But really, the tone??? the HF on most of these babies is just smooth - no clue what are you on about...

Oh, unless you switch off 'insane' mode?
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby giancarlo » Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Really no clue... Seriously
I dont understand which sample switching he is speaking about?
Clicking? Maybe he is using with insane mode deactivated... Dunno
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby daystripper » Sat May 20, 2017 1:49 pm

You really don't know about the artifacts in the High end? You may believe it's beyond our hearing range, but it totally affects the sound and how we perceive a sound. Insane mode doesn't solve that problem and i'm talking about with it on. I can make a video about it, go into detail and demonstrate. And if you really don't know what i'm on about, hell, i may even help to improve your product.
daystripper
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby robschroeder » Sat May 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Please go for it. Highly interested in what you are hearing.
robschroeder

Postby giancarlo » Sat May 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Yes very interested.. We never stop learning
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Return to Working with Acqua